- Martin Krpan, a hero and a horse owner
This time I am going to tell you another story about Martin Krpan. He’s one of Slovenia’s popular literature heroes who made his living by smuggling salt. But being a man of many talents he did all kinds of work and due to this he ran into many problems with the authorities.
And the story goes like this…
- What is a Lipizzaner anyway?
So the Emperor had recognized the breed…it was a Lipizzaner horse. The most beautiful breed in the monarchy and bred for the royal family. How was it possible that a simple man as Krpan could get hold of such a beauty?
- Breeding of Lipizzan horses
While the Emperor was wondering about how Krpan could afford such a horse, he imagined the most beautiful horses of this breed he had seen at the Vienna Court Riding School…
- Activities at Lipica Stud farm
So, thinking about his Lipizzaner horses, the Emperor was wondering if horse breeding was the only activity the stud farm was occupied with…there was a rumour that something else was going on, though he couldn’t remember what he had heard. But he was eager to find out…
- The end of the storyThe Emperor was thinking about Lipizzaner horses and Martin Krpan ... and why he was bothering anyway. After all, Krpan was one of his subjects and a hard-working man. Why shouldn't he have a Lipizzaner? If anyone deserved it, it was him. And so the story ended well for Martin Krpan, who went on doing his business with his horse.